There was an announcement from the army hierarchs that there would be an operation in the South East geopolitical zone code named Operation Python Dance 11, which would take place from September 15 to October 15, 2017, here are some things to be noted ahead of the start on Friday.
1. This isn’t the first time the operation would be carried out as the first phase “Operation Python dance I” took place last year between November 27 to December 27.
2. According to Vanguard newspaper, many have claimed it is part of the alleged intimidation of the people of the South East following the demand of the agitators for a referendum for the actualization of the Biafra Republic by some of the groups,others alleged that it is in line with the policy of the All Progressives Congress, APC-controlled federal government to continue to keep the South East region on edge.
3. There was a clash between the agitators of the Biafra republic and the soldiers on Sunday 10th September 2017, with scores of people said to be injured in Umuahia.
4. There’s an ongoing curfew in Abia state which can also be attributed to the exercise of the soldiers in the state, the curfew started on 12 of September and will end today 14th of September, a 6pm to 6am curfew.
5. The NUJ Secretariat in Abia state was also attacked by the soldiers and journalists attacked and victimised with claims of “nonsense” against the military, taking unauthorized “photographs”.
6. The soldiers were quick to apologise and regret their wrongdoings in the wake of the attack, “The boys did not act on the authority of anybody, they have no reason to harass journalists”, The Commander of the 14 Brigade, Brigadier General Abdukalifa Ibrahim said, whe he visited the NUJ Press Centre in company of the commander of the Navy School of Finance and Logistics, Owerrinta, Navy Commander Abdulahi Aminu, and promise to replace the missing phone.
7. Also the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations and Information, has quickly refused the saying that Nnamdi Kanu’s house is under siege as he further stressed that the exercise isn’t aimed at an individual or group.
8. Many people have called for the calling off of the operation as they see no reason or need for the operation except to get rid of the leader of the IPOB group including chief Fani-Kayode.
9. The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has reportedly cautioned the military and other security agencies over the ongoing invasion of some parts of the South East and South South of the geopolitical zone of the country under the exercise tagged “Operation Python dance”.
10. The Igbo National Council (INC) has given the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, a21-day ultimatum to end the Operation Python Dance II in the south-east, the group said the region is not a war zone and asked the army chief to withdraw all the soldiers posted to the area within 21 days or be sued at the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Culled from naij.com, vanguard news online and the daily post.